The coming of fall brings with it the most amazing, and comforting, desserts! Fruits, spices, nuts… a host of healthy ingredients are at our disposal; they help to make even the most indulgent desserts just a little more… healthy!
And so we introduce… an Apple Pecan Crumb Cake. YUM!
This cake has the perfect texture: beautifully moist on the inside and the perfect crunch on top. It’s a great cake when you want to impress. The recipe has a wonderful autumn vibe and is really warm and comforting.
One tip: make sure that the sides of the cake tin are well greased. In using a springform cake tin, part of the crumb topping got stuck to the side of the tin and broke off. Oops!
Apple Pecan Crumb Cake
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 20 mins
o 1½ cups almond meal (if you make your own plant based milk, the left over pulp is perfect here!)
o 1 cup whole meal spelt flour
o 1 cup of coconut sugar
o 2 tsp baking powder
o 1 tsp ground cinnamon
o pinch salt
o 1 apple grated
o 1 cup plant based milk (almond and coconut are both wins!)
o ½ cup olive oil
o 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
o 1½ cups pecans
o ⅓ cup whole meal spelt flour
o 3 TBSP maple syrup
o 1 sliced apple
1. In a large bowl, combine the almond meal, spelt flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Mix to combine.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the grated apple, plant based milk, oil, and vinegar,
3. Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and mix to combine.
4. Pour the cake batter into a greased 8in cake tin
5. For the topping, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. Slice the apple and arrange on the cake as desired. Place the crumb topping in clumps in between and around the apple slices.
6. Bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes at 350 F or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool before slicing.